Saturday, May 3, 2008

Author Catch-Up

Traci L. Slatton has had an exciting development. She has sold the film rights to her novel, Immortal, to TwinStar Entertainment. Here's an amusing quote from her blog:

"It's also scary. They can do anything they want to the story, for film purposes. ANYTHING. Oh, yeah, turn my main character Luca Bastardo into a transvestite lounge singer, or an airline pilot, or a crack addict. I guess those things aren't as bad as what he actually is: a thief, a killer, a prostitute. But still, in MY novel, he's the thief, killer, and prostitute I delineated. "

* * *

I've been meaning to post this update from Leslie Ann Moore, author of Griffin's Daughter:

"Griffin's Daughter has just been named as a finalist for the Benjamin Franklin Award for Best Fiction by a New Publisher for 2008, given out by the Independent Book Publisher's Association. The public annoucement of all the finalists will be made next week and the awards will be handed out 5/29. Needless to say, I really want to win, but just to get into the top three is an honor. I hope you'll share my good news with your readers."

The official word is here, and you can visit Leslie's website here.

* * *

I started following Jo Graham's blog (author of Black Ships) this past week, and I like the way she puts up reader questions on her blog. She keeps then anonymous. Someone started a new fan community around her novel, but sadly it appears to have been short-lived. Maybe it needs some fresh blood.

* * *

Matthew Jarpe has an interesting contest going on. If you film a video clip about his novel (he has some possible suggestions), Radio Freefall, you could win an audiobook from Audible.com. Here are some details:

"I'll keep the contest open for a month, and give away two audio books to the makers of the two clips I like the best. When you send me the clip you will be giving me permission to edit it and plaster it all over the internet. In turn I promise never to make any of you look foolish. I do reserve the right to leave you looking foolish if that's the way you want to come across."

Read the rest of the specifics here.

* * *

Laura Benedict, author of Isabella Moon, shared some exciting news three days ago:

"I've been invited to the 29th annual Kentucky Women's Writers Conference in Lexington. It happens in September and I'll be teaching a workshop, which I always enjoy. But the really exciting news is that I'll be doing a reading with Joyce Carol Oates!"

Wow. I knew of Joyce Carol Oates in high school. I went to her website and counted--54 novels and novellas! This must be a huge thrill for Laura.

* * *

And that's all for this week! Tips are always welcome at tia dot nevitt at gmail dot com.

2 comments:

Rashmi said...

Wow, lots to add to my TBR pile! Thanks for collecting and posting this info.

Btw, I'm having a huge Mother's Day Book Bash. Hope you'll stop by.

Thanks,
callmeabookworm at gmail dot com
http://abookbloggersdiary.blogspot.com/

Carole McDonnell said...

I looove Joyce Carol. Don't know if you've read "Because it is bitter and because it is my heart." Yes, she is on the weird side. Some of the weirdest families in American literature show up in her novels. -C